Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Memoir

It was the beginning of our freshmen year and a lot of us did not know each other. I only knew the people that went to my middle school. The first day of school I explored everyone I had seen for the first time. There was this one girl in particular that caught my attention. She looked totally geeky and I was laughing when I saw her. I pointed her out to Karen and she started laughing as well. Every time I saw her I would have the urge to burst out laughing. The girl's name was Patricia, but she does not go here anymore. She wore big and geeky glasses. Her hair was always grabbed in a ponytail with the same purple scrunchie. She wore her shirt tucked in with her pants all the way up. She had a huge rolling backpack, which made her bound to be laughed at by the upper classmen. I had her for two classes, sociology and biology. She was always alone, it seemed as though she had no friends. One day for biology, the teacher gave us a partner activity and guess who got stuck with Patricia, I did! In my mind I was laughing and I tried to hold it in. We started working and there was an awkward silence. To break the ice, I decided to talk with her and see what she would say. I asked her if she was interested in any sports. It was a shocker, she said she liked baseball and that she was an Angel fan. I was really shocked to hear this, I would have never imagined this. I told her I was an Angel fan to and from there all we did was talk about the Angels. We got so caught up that we did not even do the partner assignment. After all she turned out to be a great person. I had regret talking the way I did about her. I did not know her so I had no right to express myself towards her like that. Never judge a person by their appearances, it is mean and disrespectful. It is not based on just their appearance, you have to get to know them. Do not judge a book by its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment