Sunday, December 5, 2010

Setting As The World

The house I live in has been my home forever. There are many memories I have lived for the past seventeen years. The living room plays an important part in my childhood memories, as well as present memories. I remember this one day when it was getting dark, and it happened to be a rainy day. My family and I were all in the living room covered in our blankets and watching a television show on channel 34. Usually when we watch TV all together we joke around and talk about things that happened that we need to discuss among us. I remember seeing lightning and hearing thunderstorms while we were watching TV. I love the sound of lightning because it is something that we do not get often. My brother was scared so he got closer to my mom. We were all making fun of him, but like always my mom was telling us to leave him alone. I was craving something good to eat so I told my sister if she wanted to eat popcorn with me and she said," Yes, I want some too baby girl. How did you know I wanted some?" I was laughing so hard, and I just made that I do not know face. I went to the kitchen and then looked under the sink cabinet to see if we had popcorn. Fortunately, there was only one left. Like always, I started singing corridos out loud as I usually do at home. I made my way to the microwave and quickly put the popcorn bag inside and put four minutes and thirty seconds. Still singing, I went back to sit down on the couch. They were all telling me to shut up because I was annoying. I was just laughing like always. I was looking around the house and I was just thinking of all the people who must be homeless do not have a roof over them. I was lucky and I felt safe in my house. I thought to myself," I never want to leave this house." I then started to hear the popping of the popcorn. The aroma was so delicious. I almost tasted the popcorn in my mouth. That day my sister and I were just out of it. My parents, sister and brother would just be looking at us while we both were talking and laughing till we dropped the floor and could not breath anymore. The popcorn was done, so I went to go prepare it. I made sure they had a lot of tapatio salsa. We ate our popcorn, and when we finished were both full and satisfied. After a while, I went to brush my teeth and I came back with my sister. The rest had gone to sleep already. The VCR clock under the plasma TV read eleven thirty-three. I was laying down peacefully in the soft side of the couch. I do not know how, but I fell asleep. I woke up and it was twelve forty-one. The lights were off. My sister had gone to sleep too, but in the room. I got up and made my way to the room. I laid down on my bed and I fell asleep like a baby right away. That night was ironic.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I feel like I'm at your house. This is a warm fuzzy description that draws the reader into your home. You have really progressed as a writer and story-teller. I hope you continue to write and share your thoughts and musings with the world. You have a lot to say.

    ReplyDelete